Low-income utility assistance program gets additional money

TOPEKA – A program that helps low-income households pay their utility bills received an additional $860,629 in emergency contingency funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program helps pay for home heating and cooling costs and helps weatherize eligible families' homes, the department said in a written announcement Monday.

"The release of these funds will help ease those worries, and assure individuals in Kansas, particularly those with the lowest incomes that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy, that they will not be left behind during the cold winter months ahead," said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

Those who wish to apply to the program can receive more information through the Kansas Department of Social & Rehabilitation Services, which runs the program for the state.

The department can be contacted by phone at (785) 296-0147 or online at

Applicants may need the following documents to apply:

- Recent copies of your utility bills.

- A recent payroll stub or other proof that shows your current gross income.

- Documentation showing income from Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, disability, etc.

- Final Utility Termination Notice (if you’ve received a shut-off notice from your energy company).

- Proof of present address (e.g., rent receipt, lease or deed, property tax bill).

- Proof of total members living in your household (e.g., birth certificates, school records, etc.).

- Social Security cards (or numbers) for all persons living in your household.

- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence.