Missouri girl who was abducted is doing OK, her dad says

LOUISIANA, Mo. (AP) — The father of a 4-year-old girl who was grabbed from her front yard last week and found 26 hours later says doctors did not find any physical evidence of an assault.

David Maier, who has not spoken publicly about Alisa Maier’s abduction, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his daughter has been well and happy since her return home. No nightmares. No tears. He said she has not talked about what happened during her abduction and that he and Alisa’a mother, Kim Harrison, would not be pressing Alisa for details.

“They told us she didn’t say anything about being molested or anything like that,” Maier said.

Maier said he has a lot of unanswered questions but that he and Harrison would wait until Alisa talked about it. If she decides to confide in anyone, it would be her 6-year-old brother, Blake, he said.

“There’s a lot we’ll probably never know,” Maier said, as he glanced at his children during a water gun fight at the family’s house Saturday. “Maybe it’s better that I don’t.”

Maier also told the Post-Dispatch that he thinks the kidnapper cased the neighborhood and even knew a blind spot on the property that can’t be seen from the kitchen window, a newspaper reported Sunday.

“He had to know that,” Maier said. “That’s the only place I can’t see my kids when they’re outside playing.”

The man who authorities said abducted Alisa, Paul S. Smith, fatally shot himself Wednesday when confronted by police.

Maier said his Blake burst into the house Monday evening and said his sister had gotten in a car with a stranger.

“Blake said he told her, ’Come here,’ and then grabbed her and took off,” Maier said. Maier began frantically searching for Alisa in his car.

“We didn’t sleep,” he said.

By the next day, hundreds of people were searching for Alisa.

Then, just before midnight Tuesday, a police officer showed Maier and Harrison a picture of Alisa, smiling with her hands behind her head, relaxing in a hospital bed at St. Clare Medical Center. She had been found wandering near a car wash in Fenton.

The officer wanted to know if he was sure the child in the photo was Alisa.

“Her hair has been cut, but no one has that face,” Maier told him.

Within minutes, Maier and Harrison were headed to St. Louis. When they arrived at St. Louis County’s Fenton police precinct, child psychologists were interviewing Alisa. Maier and Harrison waited in another room for an hour before a police officer led their daughter through the door.

The couple wept over the child as she hugged them. She looked at them and asked, “Where’s Blake?”

They then took her to a children’s hospital about 4 a.m. Wednesday for further evaluation. The couple spent Wednesday night at a hotel in the St. Louis area so counselors could to talk to Alisa.

Alisa and Blake were reunited Thursday.