LAWRENCE | Federal authorities have cited a Lawrence fertilizer company for several violations that occurred the day two employees died after being overcome by fumes.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration on Friday said it had cited MagnaGro International for 11 violations identified on April 1, the day 51-year-old Roy Hillebert of Eudora, and 25-year-old Brandon Price of Lawrence were overcome by fumes in a storage tank containing fermented molasses.
The 11 OSHA violations included not giving employees protection from falls outside the molasses storage tanks or proper ventilation inside the tanks.
The Lawrence Journal World reports that the company has been assessed fines totaling $73,000 for the violations. The city shut down MagnaGro on July 21 for city code violations.