Insulation fire at Kapaun Mount Carmel put out quickly

Firefighters were called to Kapaun Mount Carmel High School this afternoon when insulation caught fire while workers were repairing the roof, Wichita fire Capt. Scott Ledy said.

He said the fire was quickly extinguished and there were no injuries. The fire was limited to electrical systems in a small room in the cafeteria area that houses computer equipment, he said.

The ventilation system carried smoke into the building, which prompted firefighters to search for an additional source of flames, but they found none, Ledy said.

The fire at the school, 8506 E. Central, was reported at 4:15 p.m. and was out by 4:30, he said.

The school was founded in 1971 when Chaplain Kapaun Memorial High School and Mount Carmel Academy merged.