News

Inflatables facility to appeal cease-and-desist order

WICHITA — A local inflatable amusement facility will appeal a cease-and-desist order that alleges its rides were not inspected properly.

Pure Entertainment, a facility near Kellogg and Tyler where a 5-year-old boy fell March 22 and later died, will be allowed to remain open during the appeals process, said Tom Stolz, Wichita deputy police chief.

The business was closed Friday and Sunday but is open today.

Mark Schoenhofer, an attorney for Duane Zogleman, owner of Moonwalks For Fun Inc., said this morning that all inflatables at Pure Entertainment have been inspected by an independent third party and passed.

Moonwalks For Fun Inc. holds licenses for amusement equipment used by Pure Entertainment.

Brent Ottaway, an inspector certified by the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials, said he inspected 15 inflatable units at Pure Entertainment on Thursday and six more on Saturday.

All passed inspection, Ottaway said, including King of the Hill, the inflatable 5-year-old Matthew Branham and several family members were on when the boy fell.

Before Friday, inspection certificates for 40 rides owned by Moonwalks For Fun had been submitted by Jesse Zogleman, Duane Zogleman's son and the manager of Pure Entertainment.

Police said Jesse Zogleman was not certified to inspect portable amusement rides, as required by city ordinance. On Thursday, police ordered the business to have inflatable rides cleared from its building.

For more on this story, read Tuesday's Eagle and return to Kansas.com.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle

  Comments