Lawrence firefighters rescued an unconscious person from a burning building early Saturday. The victim, who was not identified, suffered critical injuries.
The fire at the Children's Playpen day-care center in the 2400 block of Harper Street was reported about 2:20 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and fire pouring from the structure.
Firefighters worked 90 minutes to control the blaze.
Fire officials said there were no other injuries. They later determined "inattentive cooking" caused the accidental fire. Damage was estimated at $160,000.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.