WICHITA — The disabled 55-year-old woman who was injured in a fire at the Timbers apartment complex in northeast Wichita Monday night remains in critical condition at the burn unit of Via Christi Regional Medical Center-St. Francis Campus.
The fire was the result of careless smoking, Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The sprinkler system in the woman's apartment at 2021 N. Old Manor extinguished the fire quickly, but she was unable to get away from the flames.
The fire caused an estimated $4,000 in damage to the apartment and its contents.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.