Wichita firefighters responded to a call Sunday morning in the 2200 block of West Walker that ended with six people being sent to Wesley Medical Center with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Division Chief Tammy Snow said the call came in shortly after 10:30 a.m. after one of the victims reported smelling gas. Six of the eight people in the home were suffering from headaches and nausea.
"Some had carbon monoxide in their systems at a very high rate," Snow said. "The gas service was contacted and gas was shut off to the home."
She said the furnace was found to be the source of the fumes.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.