News

Discarded cigarette apparent cause of apartment fire

WICHITA — A discarded cigarette appears to be the cause of a fire that damaged a west-side apartment, a fire official said today.

No one was injured, but the fire caused about $8,000 in damage to the structure and $5,000 in damage to contents, said fire Capt. Stuart Bevis.

The fire, in an apartment complex at 999 N. Silver Springs, near Central and Ridge, was reported about 7:40 p.m. Sunday, Bevis said.

A discarded cigarette appears to have ignited a balcony railing, he said.

  Comments