News

Worker injured in fire near hospital

WICHITA — One person suffered minor injuries after fire broke out in a building housing mechanical equipment on the north side of the Via Christi Regional Medical Center-Riverside Campus late this morning.

A maintenance worker was using a high-pressure line when it broke and mineral oil and refrigerant caught fire shortly after 11 a.m., Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said.

The fire in the 2600 block of West Central never threatened the hospital or any patients, Bevis said. It was extinguished a few minutes before noon.

The maintenance worker was taken to Via Christi-St. Francis for treatment of second-degree burns. Four other people were washed down as a precaution by the fire department's hazardous materials team.

The fire caused an estimated $500,000 damage.

  Comments