News

Cigarette causes southeast Wichita apartment fire

WICHITA _ The fire that critically injured a 61-year-old man Thursday at a southeast Wichita apartment complex was caused by careless smoking, a fire investigator said.

A cigarette left on a loveseat ignited the fire at Cherry Hill Apartments, 2200 S. Rock Road, Wichita fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said.

The blaze was reported at 12:25 p.m., fire officials have said, and firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in the living room fairly quickly.

They found the victim lying on a bed in his bedroom. He was taken to Via Christi Regional Medical Center-St. Francis Campus, where he remains in critical condition today.

The fire caused an estimated $40,000 in damage, Bevis said.

Check Kansas.com for updates.

  Comments