News

Mock dorm fire teaches students a safety lesson

New students at MidAmerica Nazarene University got a lesson in fire safety today from the Olathe Fire Department.

Two mock dorm rooms were set up in a parking lot at the university and both were set ablaze. The first one had no sprinkler system and students watched as the fire quickly turned into an blazing inferno.

Capt. Mike Hall of the Olathe Fire Department said a sprinkler was attached to the second room and a water hose attached to the sprinkler.

When the fire started in that room, the sprinkler suppressed the blaze although it didn’t put it out. In a real situation, Hall said alarms would have gone off the students who might have occupied that room would have had time to get out.

“This demonstration showed the power and speed of a fire,” Hall said.

It was paid for by a 2007 Fire Prevention and Safety Grant and was part of Olathe’s Safer College Campaign.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle

  Comments