WICHITA, Kan. | A group of African-American businesses is asking the White House to withhold federal funds from three Wichita-area governments until the governmental entities agree to spend more with minority contractors.
United Builders and Contractors Inc. includes more than 50 businesses. In its complaint, the group says less than $500,000 of the nearly $800 million spent last year by Wichita, Sedgwick County and the Wichita School District went to black-owned businesses.
The group's administrator says the complaint was filed July 22 with the office of Vice President Joe Biden because of his involvement with stimulus funds.
Prentice Lewis says the complaint was filed to get the attention of officials with the three governments.