Overland Park and Merriam firefighters put out a chimney fire early Friday morning. No injuries were reported.
When fire crews arrived in the 6800 block of Mackey Street, smoke was visible but the home's occupants were safely out of the house. Damage to the home was estimated at $50,000.
The homeowner had his chimney inspected regularly, but this fire serves as a reminder to have fireplaces and chimneys cleaned and inspected annually, a spokesman for the Overland Park Fire Department said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.