WINFIELD, Kan. | Authorities have confirmed that propane played a role in a deadly house explosion and fire near the south-central Kansas town of Winfield.
But Winfield Fire Marshal Alan Stoll said Thursday it's still not clear what ignited the propane. The house was a rental that was being prepared for occupancy.
The explosion and fire Tuesday afternoon killed 54-year-old Randy Porter of Derby and sent 45-year-old Toni Brothers to a Wichita hospital with burns. She was listed Thursday in stable condition.
Porter and Brothers had been working on the house when the explosion occurred, leveling the building and leaving only the chimney standing.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.