CENTER, Mo. | A 14-year-old northeast Missouri girl is expected to recover after apparently ingesting carpet cleaning fluid in an effort to avoid school.
The incident happened Thursday at Mark Twain Junior High in Center, near Hannibal. Authorities say the 14-year-old girl left the building around noon and drank the fluid before a principal could intervene.
She was taken to Hannibal Regional Hospital.
Ralls County Sheriff Paul Forney was called to the school earlier in the day after the girl refused to enter the building. Forney says the girl had made several threats to harm herself.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Forney credits principal Jake Moss with moving quickly to strip the bottle from the girl's hands before she could drink even more of the fluid.