K-State shocks No. 12 Texas with 85-81 win in overtime

AUSTIN, Texas | Denis Clemente scored a career-high and Big 12-tying best 44 points and Kansas State (14-7, 3-4) harassed No. 12 Texas (15-5, 4-2) into 20 turnovers Saturday en route to an 85-81 overtime upset at the Erwin Center, snapping the Longhorns' 19-game home winning streak.

It was the Wildcats' third consecutive victory and their second straight here.

The last time, a 73-72 victory, occurred Feb. 3, 2007, and that was also the last time K-State defeated a Top 25 team on the road. The Longhorns were the 22nd-ranked team at the time.

The biggest reason was Clemente, who drilled a career best six three-point field goals, all without a miss.

The junior guard's high at Miami was 24 points. He eclipsed that with 13:43 left in regulation.

His 44 points tied the mark set last year by former K-State star Michael Beasley in a loss at Baylor. It also set an Erwin Center record.

Or maybe it was Fred Brown (13 points), the only other Wildcat in double figures.

His three-pointer with 18.6 seconds left in overtime put K-State up, 82-79, which proved to be too much for the Longhorns to overcome.

The Wildcats barely held on.

What once a 17-point lead was whittled to two on pair of Varez Ward free throws with 1:19 left.

The teams traded possessions without a point, but then Clemente was fouled. He hit both. He was also perfect from the foul line, pushing the score to 73-69.

But then Justin Mason drove to the basket and was fouled by freshman Jamar Samuels as he finished. Mason made the free throw with 21.8 seconds left, and K-State led by one.

On the ensuing possession, Jacob Pullen, who made his first shot Saturday and then missed his next 12, was fouled. He made the first but missed the second.

The Longhorns darted down the court and got the ball to Mason, who weaved to the basket and flipped it over the rim and in, tying the game at 74 with 6.8 seconds left.

Clemente had a chance at the end of regulation, but his running 3 was off the mark.

In overtime, it was more of the same, both teams trading baskets until Brown's three-pointer.

Texas got the ball back and Gary Johnson was fouled with 11.8 seconds left, but he missed the first before making the second.

Ron Anderson was then sent to the line with 11.3 seconds left, but he missed both. Fortunately, Samuels corralled the second and was hacked. He missed the first but made the second.

K-State coach Frank Martin elected to foul with a three-point lead, and Dogus Bolbay went to the line with 6.9 seconds left.

He made the first but he missed the second intentionally, without drawing iron. That turned the ball over to the Wildcats, and Clemente was fouled.

Fittingly, he closed out the game with two more free throws, tying him with Beasley.

He never missed Saturday from the free-throw line, either, making all 12 of his attempts.

Related stories from Wichita Eagle