The Missouri State Water Patrol warned dock owners on Wednesday to check their boat and swimming docks for possible electrical shock hazards.
The warning comes weeks after a Raymore woman died after being electrocuted at the Lake of the Ozarks. Heather Huff, 24, died in late July after she grabbed a ladder that was attached to the swim dock. Efforts to resuscitate her were unsuccessful and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
This was the second electrocution on Lake of the Ozarks in as many years, according to a release from the Missouri State Water Patrol.
The water patrol said that recent high water levels might have placed docks under more strain, which could have weaken anchor cables and cause electrical conduits to crack or break.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Exposed electrical wires are a safety hazard to people swimming in the area. Dock owners who find potential hazards are recommended to turn the power off to the docks and contact a certified electrician.