Make Mother's Day (May 9), an occasion to remember. Plan a trip with or for Mom that will let her know how truly special she is. Here are five ideas:
1. Roses at Residence Inns. Moms who check in at a Residence Inn by Marriott for Mother's Day will be feeling the love. Each of the first 50 mothers to check in at each of the chain's 588 hotels in the U.S. will receive a red rose — a total of 29,400 blooms. Family members (including the family pet) can join their honored mom in spacious accommodations. The humans in the group can stop by for a free hot breakfast and stay connected with free Internet.
Contact: 1-800-331-3131; www.residenceinn.com
2. Abercrombie & Kent adventure. Mother-and-daughter duos will have an opportunity to bond while learning about the cultural uniqueness of women in various parts of the world. A&K's Journeys for Women include private cooking classes in Spain, rafting adventures in Utah's Cataract Canyon, explorations of historical sites in China and Jordan, and a visit to a traditional village in Botswana.
Contact: 1-800-554-7016; www.abercrombiekent.com
3. Sun, stay and shop. Treat mom to a girls-only weekend at the new, luxurious One Bal Harbour Resort & Spa in Miami Beach. She'll shop to her heart's content in this sunny Florida hot spot where the Bal Harbour Shops offers more than 100 boutiques. Book the Sun, Stay and Shop package, and she'll enjoy two cocktails at the hotel bar, daily continental breakfast and a VIP shopping experience that includes car service, a personal fashion consultation and special discount at Saks Fifth Avenue's 5th Avenue Club. Some restrictions apply.
Contact: 1-877- 455-5410; www.oneluxuryhotels.com, www.balharbourflorida.com
4. Tackle the Tatshenshini River. Where the boundaries of British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska converge is a stunning northern wilderness. Join your adventurous mother on a whitewater rafting trip offered by Canada-based ROAM tours down what's considered one of the most beautiful rivers in the world. Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Tatshenshini offers photographic possibilities in a rugged paradise where lush forests, wildflowers and plentiful wildlife coexist with calving glaciers, grizzlies and alpine tundra.
Contact: 1-888-639-1114; www.iroamtheworld.com
5. Chicago-style getaway. Offer your mom the opportunity to explore the city the nation's first family calls home. With nearly 2,000 sites and attractions, extraordinary shopping, music and museums as well as 77 distinct communities, there's plenty to be discovered. To help focus your planning, tourism officials will provide brochures, reserve hotel rooms and answer your questions.
Contact: 1-877-244-2246; www.explorechicago.org