Catch the last two days of spring before the real thing finally shows up
Here are some highlights of the final two days of the Wichita Garden Show at Century II: Today * Talks by featured speakers. Landscape architect Judy Allmon, of Jefferson City, Mo., will talk at 2 p.m. on "Livable Landscapes," and Allan Branhagen, director of horticulture at Powell Gardens in Kansas City, Mo., will speak at 3 p.m. on "Livable Landscapes: More Color, More Interest, More Results."
* View a specially curated selection of short films from past Tallgrass Film Festivals.
* Be in the audience for a Name That Movie Game from 3 to 4 p.m. Songs from the movies will be played, and the first person to shout out the correct movie wins a prize.
* Watch six teams compete in the Grill Assembly Game, from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
* Be in the audience (some audience members will be chosen to compete) in the Digging for the Cub Cadet Key contest at 7 p.m. The winner gets a riding lawn tractor.
* Watch participants in the movie trivia game from 12:30 to 2 p.m.
* Hear musical performances by Emilie Henry from 4:30 to 5 p.m. and 5:30 to 6 p.m.; the Diamond W Wranglers from 5 to 5:30 p.m. and 6 to 6:30 p.m.; and North of Fifty from 6:30 to 7 p.m.
* Other seminars: seed starting, 10 a.m.; new perennials for 2011, 11 a.m.; organic pest control, 1 p.m.; composting with worms, 4 p.m.; babying your back in the garden, 5 p.m.; and raised bed gardening, 6 p.m.
* Meet the Breeds dog event will be from noon to 4:30 p.m. in Century II's foyer gallery. More than 20 dog breeds will be there for people to greet, along with an arson dog at 2 p.m. and a drug dog at 3 p.m. (Admission is free whether you go to the garden show or not.)
* See artists doing work throughout the gardens from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and at 4 p.m. gather around the stage in Expo Hall to vote for your favorite painting and see the winners. Also see fine art, quilted wall hangings and needle art on display.
* Watch a Middle Eastern dance from 1 to 1:30 p.m., a gypsy dance from 1:30 to 2 p.m., a flamenco dance from 2 to 2:30 p.m. and "Molihua" by the Wichita Chinese Dance Club from 2:30 to 3 p.m.
* Listen to music from The Good Guys from 3 to 3:45 p.m.
* Look for deals on items that vendors may not want to have to haul away at the end of the day.
* Catch these talks: dogs and great yards at noon; using softer pesticides at 1 p.m.; improving your bird habitat at 2 p.m.; and rose care at 3 p.m.