Tonya Wells, a certified personal trainer and the owner of Mommy-Muscle Fitness in Wichita, suggests these tips when exercising outside in the summer:
* Exercise outdoors before 10 a.m. or in the evening, avoiding the heat of the day.
* Stay hydrated, all day long. Your body will quickly adjust to drinking more water.
* Carry an insulated water bottle. Cool water is more enticing than warm water.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
* Freeze a wet washcloth overnight and carry it with you in a sandwich bag; use it to cool off.
* Carry and use a mister fan.
* Don't wear a hat in the heat. Use a visor or headband instead.
* Eat a light snack — a banana or a few crackers — 30 minutes to an hour before exercising.
* If you feel faint or nauseous, stop exercising.
* Stay in the shade when you can.
* If it's above 90 degrees and there's no shade and no breeze, find a pool and do a pool workout.