It's spring, so it's time for a new look. And wouldn't it be fun to win a head-to-toe makeover? Go ahead and give it your best shot by entering The Wichita Eagle's annual Makeover Contest.
This year, we have an exciting change to announce. In addition to performing makeovers on three women, as we normally do, we're offering to do makeovers on three men.
Everyone will be treated to services from our select salons and clothing retailers. (I'll give more details on this later.)
Do you know a guy in need of a few minor — well, OK, maybe major — improvements to his physical appearance? If so, encourage him to enter the contest. If he won't do it, you may nominate him, but make sure he'll participate willingly if he is chosen.
Here's everything that men and women need to know to enter. If you have questions after reading this, e-mail or call me.
To apply or nominate someone for a free makeover:
* Send a photo you don't need returned. (You may e-mail a photo, but the judges prefer a color printed photo.) Please note that the photo needs to have been taken in the past six months.
* Include your name, age, occupation and phone numbers, including a daytime contact number.
* Tell us briefly why you want a makeover.
* Agree to be available for the appointments at the salons and the retailers. (They will work with your schedule.)
* Agree to be featured in The Wichita Eagle if you are one of the six winners.
* Attend a luncheon on June 26 when all the winners are unveiled. The winners will be our guests. Winners must set aside most of the morning to prepare for the unveiling.
* Be available on June 8 or 9 for a quick "before" photograph at The Eagle.
* Submit your entry by 5 p.m. June 4. Judges will choose the winners on June 7, and I will contact the winners that day.
* Mail entries to: Bonnie Bing, The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202. Or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The six winners and their new looks will be unveiled at a luncheon event called the Sisterhood of the Divine Makeover, on June 26 at the Wichita Marriott. The event is a benefit for Dress for Success, a charitable organization that provides professional attire, mentoring, life skills and other resources to help women find jobs.
Tickets for the luncheon, with all proceeds going to Dress for Success, are $40. A table for 10 is $400. For tickets, call 316-945-8779.