Whether you plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day or Galentine’s Day, a rockin' red lip is a perfect accessory for Feb. 14.
Not as perfect? A smear of lipstick on your face, your glass or your date. (I know my husband is always super-charmed when a quick smooch leaves him wearing purple lipstick.)
Liquid lipstick to the rescue! These quick-dry, long-wear formulas offer bright, budge-proof color.
Take note: “Long-wear” and “drying” often go hand in hand. Prep your pout before applying a liquid lip by using a lip scrub (I like Tarte’s Lip Facial Lip Scrub, $16 at Sephora) followed by a moisturizing balm. (Good old Chapstick is fine here; try the Total Hydration 3 in 1, $2.99 at drugstores.)
These five liquid lipsticks, all favorites of mine, will last through any eating, drinking, and kissing you have planned for Valentine’s Day.
▪ Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick ($24 at Sephora or Ulta) promises six hours of continuous wear, but I’ve found it performs as advertised – it stays all day. Try Fiery (a deep red), Beso (a true red) or Tesoro (an orange red).
▪ Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint ($20 at Sephora or Ulta) is an ultra-pigmented, ultra-matte vegan liquid lipstick. Try Bae (a true red) or Manbun (a dark berry).
▪ Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick ($21 at Sephora or Ulta) comes in a tube and looks almost like actual paint. I find the applicator a little less accurate than the doe-foot you'll find on my other recommendations, so use a steady hand. Try it in Melted Ruby (a blood red), Melted Strawberry (a berry red) or Melted Velvet (a bordeaux).
▪ NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream ($6 at drugstores) really is soft – it has an almost whipped texture that feels light and comfortable on your lips. It comes in a vast number of shades; at only $6, grab all your favorite colors. For reds, try Amsterdam (a pure red), Monte Carlo (a deep cranberry red) or Madrid (a true cranberry red).
▪ Rimmel Provocalips ($6.99 at drugstores) is a double-ended product. Paint the color on and let it set for a minute or two, then follow with the top coat, which provides both moisture and shine. This stuff lasts and lasts, and, thanks to the top coat, doesn’t feel as drying as other options. Try Kiss Me You Fool (a bright red) or Play with Fire (a true red).