2015: Flogging Molly Plays Riverfest
Today’s best fest bets
1. River Run: The big races are on the second Saturday instead of the first this year. The 10k starts at 7 a.m., the two-mile walk at 8:30 a.m. and the two-mile run at 9:30 a.m. at Waterman and Main. Race-day registration will be available starting at 6 a.m. and costs $40 to $60.
2. Hot air balloons: Look up in the sky just before 7 a.m., and you’ll likely see several colorful hot air balloons floating over the Riverfest. They’ll be launched south of the RedGuard Stage, weather permitting.
3. Wet Your Pallet raft race: This event, originally scheduled for the first weekend, now will happen at 2 p.m. on Saturday. It invites pre-registered teams to race rafts made from recycled materials down the river. They’ll launch from the Douglas Avenue Bridge.
4. DJ Jazzy Jeff & Mayer Hawthorne: The festival’s final big concert happens Saturday night on Kennedy Plaza. DJ Jazzy Jeff takes the stage at 7 p.m. followed by Mayer Hawthorne at 9 p.m.
5. CapFed Fantastic Fireworks Finale: The big fireworks finale launches at 10:30 p.m. over the Arkansas River. The best viewing spots will be on the riverbanks between Douglas and Lewis.
Festival food find
Philly cheese steak
☆☆☆ (out of four)
Where to find it: Hoopingarner Philly Steak in the main food court
What is it? The sandwich this booth is named for, complete with melty cheese, beef and grilled peppers and onions
How is it? The sandwich’s flavor is fabulous, and the tender, diced beef is complemented by the grilled onions and yellow stick-to-your-teeth cheese. The only problem is the amount of meat you get inside the soft hoagie, which is a little skimpy for the price.
Cost: $8 (eight tickets)