Make-ahead fried chicken
It’s National Fried Chicken Day, according to the people who assign foods to be celebrated on days.
And fortunately, those people rarely give days to foods that aren’t worth celebrating. Fried chicken most certainly is.
In honor of this once-a-year occasion, I’m compiling a quick list of good fried chicken served in Wichita. Let me know who has your favorite.
1. Krispy’s Fried Chicken & Seafood, 3009 S. Hillside: This south Wichita restaurant has some of Wichita’s best fried chicken that comes out of the fryer fluffy and crispy. It also has killer chicken and waffles. Krispy’s also has a Derby restaurant at 123 S. Baltimore.
2. Neighbors, 2315 W. 21st St.: This bar and grill relocated earlier this year, but it’s still serving its famous fried chicken, which is slowly and meticulously pan-fried to perfection.
3. Stroud’s, 3661 N. Hillside: This fried chicken restaurant also pan fries, and serves its sides family-style. It’s a Wichita favorite.
4. Dillons: Wichita’s biggest grocery store chain also is one of its biggest purveyors of fried chicken. Most stores cook it up fresh daily, and what doesn’t sell, you can buy left over the next day. If you need to feed a crowd, call ahead and they’ll have it ready for you.
5. Ms. Tosha’s Chicken: Ms. Tosha makes fried chicken, and she does it in a truck. Wichita’s fried chicken food truck sells not only chicken wings but also fried legs and thighs. To find where Ms. Tosha is parked, visit her Facebook page.
So, who have I missed? Go to my Dining with Denise Facebook page and tell me where you get good fried chicken in Wichita.