One of Wichita’s food trucks was destroyed in a fire yesterday.
The truck that housed Park n pork BBQ, which Jennifer and Brad Vieux opened in April, caught fire on Sunday morning as Jennifer was driving to the Food Trucks at the Fountain meetup at the WaterWalk.
She was on McLean near Exploration Place when she started to smell something strange.
“I looked back and there were flames,” she said. “I jumped out thinking I would be a hero and get a fire extinguisher. Then I realized, ‘I have propane tanks on this thing. I’ve got to get out of here.’”
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
A passer-by called 911 as Jennifer stood and watched the truck go up in flames, realizing how close she had been to not getting out. The spot where she was sitting is now ashes.
Fire officials say that the fire started in the engine and spread.
The Vieuxs are insured and plan to reopen, she said, but it will likely be a long process.
On Monday, she was emotional as she talked about the fire.
“We worked so hard and dreamed of this for so many years,” she said. “It’s just so hard to see this happen.”
The businesses’ Facebook page has many pictures from the fire, including one of the truck engulfed.
I’ll let you know how the Vieuxs progress with rebuilding.