Mediterraneo, a new restaurant in the old Italian Garden space at 505 S. Webb Road (316-683-2485), recently opened and is serving a variety of Mediterranean-inspired dishes. Hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays; 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Fridays; 4 to 11 p.m. Saturdays; and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays. Among the dishes on the dinner menu:
1. Scallops and shrimp Spanish paella, flavored with roasted sweet red bell peppers, artichoke hearts and green chiles. ($14.25)
2. Veal scaloppini with prosciutto and fresh sage: The veal cuts are sauteed in virgin olive oil with air-cured ham and fresh sage and served with a tangy pan sauce of lemon and veal demi-glace. ($14.95)
3. Chermoula roasted Chilean sea bass: Wild sea bass filets are roasted with a Moroccan sauce of cilantro, chili, garlic, cumin and lemon. ($19.95)
4. Spanakopita: From the appetizer menu comes this classic Greek dish, featuring phyllo dough stuffed with feta cheese, onions and spinach. ($7.50)
A GOOD DEAL
For a limited time, kids eat free from the kids menu on Saturdays and Sundays at Fazoli's. The offer. good through the end of September, allows one free kids meal per adult entree purchase. Wichita's Fazoli's are at 8520 W. Central and at 3553 N. Rock Road.
Other restaurants that have opened in the past couple of weeks include:
* Mix It Up Deli and Yogurt, 630 E. Douglas, specializing in frozen yogurt as well as coffee and Vietnamese and American sandwiches, Asian wraps, Korean sushi and spring rolls.
* Pacific Coast Pizza, 7713 E. 37th St. North, 316-201-4743, a locally owned restaurant offering homemade pizza with lots of toppings.
* Schlotzsky's/Cinnabon, 8710 W. Central, 316-425-7720, a single store offering two great tastes that taste great together.
More sushi rolling in
Kanai is a Japanese restaurant featuring sushi, sake and other Japanese cuisine that will be near Shorty Small's on the southwest corner of 119th and Maple. Owners are aiming for a late-October or early-November opening.
New dishes at the O.G.
The ever-popular Olive Garden has added several new items to its menu, including a breaded pork Milanese; lasagna fritta, which are fried bite-sized portions of lasagna; and zeppolis, a dessert item that is similar to beignets or doughnuts. Wichita's Olive Gardens are at 323 N. Rock Road and 2441 N. Maize Road.