Best bets opening Friday
▪ “Everybody Wants Some” – Richard Linklater’s overly punctuated ’80s-set college-age comedy is getting great word-of-mouth buzz, saying that it follows in the vein of his classic “Dazed and Confused.” Here, we follow a freshman baseball player in the partying days leading up to the first day of class. Ah, the sweet smell of nostalgia, sweat and beer.
▪ “Miles Ahead” – Don Cheadle goes for Oscar attention as he co-writes, directs and stars in this unconventional biopic of jazz great Miles Davis.
▪ “Elvis & Nixon” – Inspired by the iconic photo of the President and the King taken at the White House in 1970, this comedy fills in the gaps about what happened before and after (but mostly before).
Also opening Friday
▪ “The Huntsman: Winter’s War” – Noticeably missing from this sequel to “Snow White and the Huntsman” is Snow White herself, but back is said Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) who fights in a war between rival queen sisters (returning Charlize Theron and new evil addition Emily Blunt).
▪ “Compadres” – This Mexican comedy follows a disgruntled Mexican cop who works with a teenage hacker to hunt down the criminals who killed his wife. (In English and Spanish with subtitles).