Fire up those flux capacitors! In “Back to the Future Part II,” Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) and Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) travel into the future from the 1980s to Oct. 21, 2015 – Wednesday!
The day has affectionately been dubbed “Back to the Future Day” (it’s also the 30th anniversary of the first film), and here are some ways to celebrate.
▪ See the films in theaters – The 21st Street Warren Theatre is showing the complete trilogy starting at 4:15 p.m. Wednesday (part two is at 7:15 and part three is at 10:15).
B&B Theatres in Hutchinson is also showing the trilogy starting at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
▪ See the films online – Amazon is streaming the trilogy throughout October for Amazon Prime subscribers for free.
▪ Buy the Blu-rays – Universal Studios recently released a 30th anniversary edition of the trilogy packed with more than two hours of bonus features.
▪ Wear your pants inside out – Every era has its fashion statements, and “Part II” depicts kids of the future having theirs.
“Pull out your pants pockets,” Doc Brown tells Marty in the film. “All kids in the future wear their pants inside-out.”
Or you can simply turn your pockets inside-out, as Marty does. Auto-adjusting, auto-drying jacket and power-lacing shoes are currently not yet invented.
▪ Watch the “Jaws 19” trailer – In “Part II,” Marty is attacked by a hologram advertising “Jaws 19.” Thankfully, we only made it to “Jaws: The Revenge,” the fourth installment. But in honor of “Back to the Future Day,” Universal Studios has released a faux trailer for “Jaws 19,” and it’s pretty hilarious.
▪ Drink a Perfect Pepsi – In the original film, Marty time-traveled that crazy Delorean back to 1955, where he tried to order a Pepsi Free.
In “Part II,” the company changed its name to “Pepsi Perfect.” To celebrate “Back to the Future Day,” Pepsi has released a faux commercial for the product, complete with kids drinking the soda in “fashionable” ’80s garb (the 1980s are all the rage in 2015, according to the film, something else it didn’t get right).
Pepsi will also release a limited collector’s edition of Pepsi Perfect made with real sugar in 16.9-ounce bottles that will be available to 6,500 fans who can purchase it online Wednesday for the price of $20.15 (nice touch). Check Pepsi’s social media sites for the URL.
And if you think $20.15 is kind of a steep price to pay for a Pepsi, consider that bottles of Pepsi Perfect are going for $7,362.49 on eBay (a limited number of bottles were previously released at the New York City Comic-Con).
▪ Root for the Chicago Cubs – In “Part II,” the Chicago Cubs win the World Series. That it seemed so far-fetched was the joke.
But in the real 2015, the Chicago Cubs are currently playing the New York Mets in the National League Championship Series. If they win, the Cubs will play the winner of the Kansas City Royals/Toronto Blue Jays ALCS.
The Cubs haven’t won the World Series in more than 100 years (ouch!), but if they do go all the way, it would be a major prediction that “Back to the Future II” got right. So, go Cubs! (Sorry, Royals fans.)