“Star Wars” changed my life. To say I am a fan is like saying Darth Vader was just a little grumpy. It isn’t a strong enough word.
(Note: I am talking about the original three films that were released in 1977, ’80 and ’83, which technically are Episodes IV, V and VI. Don’t get me started on Episodes I through III starring Hayden “One Emotion” Christensen. Oy.)
So I join millions of others who are eagerly awaiting the new “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens,” coming in December. But details of the story and plot have been kept tighter than a Princess Leia hairbun.
That is until Thursday, when the second official trailer for the film was released at a convention in California and online, unveiling a few more clues to the new “Star Wars” story.
Here are eight things we know from the new trailer:
▪ The first teaser trailer came out last December, and showed a sandy planet that many thought was Tatooine, Luke Skywalker’s home. But it was revealed at the convention that it’s actually a planet named Jakku, and is home to the character played by new cast member Daisy Ridley.
▪ That downed Imperial Star Destroyer at the beginning of the trailer seems to suggest that the empire isn’t as powerful as it once was. But it still seems to be a, ahem, force to be reckoned with, as we later see Tie Fighters and legions of stormtroopers in battle.
▪ The Stormtroopers have been redesigned with cooler-looking suits. Sleek, eh?
▪ Could Mark Hamill’s narration be him talking to his offspring?
▪ We got our first glimpse of the villain Kylo Ren, who sports a wicked lightsaber. Wouldn’t want to meet him on a dark planet.
▪ Luke and R2D2 seem to still be in action together as a team.
▪ Finn (John Boyega) looks to be a stormtrooper. But whether he’s a good guy or bad guy remains to be determined.
▪ We got out first glimpse of Han Solo (Harrison Ford) in 32 years (which I’m sure prompted Wookie-like howls of joy from diehard fans). It certainly was thrilling!
And his part was short and sweet, only saying “Chewie, we’re home.”
Welcome, back, old friends. Welcome back.