Best bets opening Friday, Nov. 11
Two Oscar-nominated women lead very different films this weekend.
▪ “Arrival” – Amy Adams is getting strong awards buzz for her performance as as a linguist who is recruited by the military to assist in translating alien communications when mysterious space ships show up on Earth.
▪ “Shut In” – Naomi Watts stars as a widowed child psychologist who lives an isolated existence in rural New England caring for her invalid teenage son. While caught in a deadly winter storm, she begins experiencing scary things involving a deaf boy she was treating who went missing.
Also opening Friday
▪ “Almost Christmas” – A dysfunctional family gathers for their first Christmas since the death of its matriarch. An ensemble cast includes Omar Epps, Danny Glover, Mo’nique and Gabrielle Union.
Good movie deal reminders
▪ Starlite Drive-in – As cooler temperatures finally arrive, don’t forget that the Starlite Drive-in is still open and back to its $13 per carload price. It’s open Fridays and Saturdays through November (weather permitting) and will be showing three features each night.
▪ Warren Old Town – Admission to movies on Wednesdays is just $5 (barring Sony films). No other discounts or special offers will be accepted on Wednesdays. Also excludes Director’s Suite. Tickets to 3-D movies are $8.
▪ Palace – Wichita’s already reduced price second-run theater features “Time Warp Tuesdays,” where tickets to all films are just $1.50.