The days are getting shorter and soon the Kansas wind will blow a little colder.
The change of seasons means it will soon be time to start planning for the holidays.
In November, The Wichita Eagle will publish its annual Holiday Cookbook, providing delicious winning recipes for special gatherings and offering a few cooks the chance to start the season with a little extra cash.
Categories in the cookbook contest this year are:
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Main course
• Ethnic food – We’re celebrating the different cultures that make up our community with this new category. Submit your favorite recipe, whether its hummus, pho, fry bread or sauerkraut.
• Potluck – Is there anyone out there who doesn’t like a potluck dinner? You bring your favorite side dish, soup, chili, breads or salad and in return, you get to sample other people’s go-to dishes. It’s a lot of food to try and a great chance to find your next favorite dish.
• Secret Ingredient – This year’s Secret Ingredient is winter squash. Any squash that’s readily available in local stores in November qualifies, including pumpkin, butternut squash and zucchini. Whether you use it fresh from the pumpkin or from a can, pumpkin can be savory or sweet and anything in between. It’s up to you to wow our judges with your creativity.
Once we've selected the top recipes in each category, a panel of judges will choose the winners. Those top three – plus other qualifying recipes – will be printed in the Holiday Cookbook.
Recipes will be judged on taste, appearance, clarity of cooking directions and creativity. The first-place winners in each category will receive a $100 gift card, and the second- and third-place winners will each receive a $50 gift card.
Each contestant may enter only one recipe per category. Only Kansas residents are eligible to win. Eagle employees and their families are not eligible.
At the top of each page, include the following information in this order:
1. Category in which recipe is to be judged
2. Name of sender
3. Address, including ZIP code
4. Daytime phone number (or best number to reach you) 5. Title of recipe
6. List all ingredients, followed by directions in standard recipe form.
7. Short, personal comments about the recipe’s origin or any other detail you care to share.
We’re looking for originality and creativity. Do not submit recipes directly from a website or book without changing at least three ingredients.
You may submit entries by e-mail or mail, but they must be typed, not handwritten or scanned in.
All recipes must be e-mailed or postmarked by midnight Sept. 23.
Mail entries to: Holiday Cookbook Contest, The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202; or e-mail entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact Jean Hays at email@example.com or 316-268-6557.