“The Book of Jonas” by Stephen Dau (Blue Rider Press, $24.95) Jonas is fifteen when his family is killed by an errant U.S. military operation. Relocated to the U.S. and struggling to assimilate, Jonas soon meets the mother of Christopher, a soldier who went missing after the raid on Jonas’ village. “The Book of Jonas” is a nuanced and powerful look at how lives intersect and the emotional cost of war.
“Stay Awake” by Dan Chaon (Ballantine Books, $25) In this collection of haunting, suspenseful short stories, Dan Chaon returns to the form that first won him acclaim. In this collection, Chaon takes average, normal people and drops them into unusual and sometimes terrifying situations, ones that will prompt even the reader to stay awake.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1. "The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier" by Ree Drummond
2. "Radiating Like a Stone" edited by Myrne Roe
3. "Cinnamon Roll Murder" by Joanne Fluke
4. "When the Killing’s Done" by T.C. Boyle
5. "The Odds" by Stewart O’Nan
6. "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
7. "Out of Sight, Out of Time" by Ally Carter
8. "The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--a Love Story" by Ree
9. "Our Family Outing" by Joe Cobb & Leigh Anne Taylor
10. "Pinches & Dashes" by the Junior League of Wichita
Source: Watermark Books & Cafe