"Birds of Kansas" by Max C. Thompson, Charles A. Ely, Bob Gress, Chuck Otte, Sebastian T. Patti, David Seibel, and Eugene A. Young (University Press of Kansas, $39.95)
This team of authors, all recognized avian authorities, has compiled a remarkable full-color book depicting every one of the state's now- documented 473 species. This stunning guide features 47 more species than the previous two- volume field guide.
The Watermark Pick
"In the Garden of the Beasts" by Erik Larson (Crown, $26)
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
From the author of "The Devil in the White City," this new narrative nonfiction tackles the story of William E. Dodd, America's first ambassador to Hitler's Germany, and the first year he and his family spent there, experiencing excitement, intrigue, romance — and eventually horror.
Watermark best sellers
1. "Aliens on Vacation" by Clete Barrett Smith
2. "Cooking with Bonnie: Farm to France" by Bonnie Aeschliman
3. "Wichita's Riverside Parks" by James Mason
4. "Eight Wonders of Kansas" by Marci Penner
5. "Caleb's Crossing" by Geraldine Brooks
6. "Moon Over Manifest" by Clare Vanderpool
7. "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne
8. "At Home" by Bill Bryson
9. "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" by Aimee Bender
10. "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell