The Women's Fair rolls around each year at just the right time.
Holiday shopping bills are mostly paid off (right?) and cabin fever has firmly established itself. It seems like a good time to get out of the house and browse under one giant roof for the latest in clothing, beauty products, foods and gift items.
The Women's Fair attracts thousands of women (and a few men) for a chance to hang out with friends and family — sisters and mom/daughter combos are common — and see a wide variety of goods and services both essential and frivolous.
Partners Deanna Wheeler and Chris Veazey Brown started the Women's Fair 13 years and have watched it grow each year.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
This year, Brown said, the fair will have 30 stage shows, 107 boutiques with fashion, beauty products and jewelry, 65 health and wellness exhibits and 52 vendors selling home-related services and products, including decor.
Here's some of what you'll find at the three-day event:
* Tonight is girl's night out, with wine sampling, cooking demonstration, fashion and hair shows and food served from three Wichita restaurants — Outback Steakhouse, Heroes and Fox & Hound. It's from 3 to 8 p.m., and attendees can shop as well as socialize.
* Carrie Trieschman, certified image consultant for ImageWorks, will present "The Frugal Fashionista" at 1 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Wichita Eagle fashion writer Bonnie Bing, who attended the spring runway shows in New York City this week, will share the latest in spring fashion trends at 11 a.m. Saturday.
* Models and Images Modeling Agency will have fashion shows at 3:30 and 5 p.m. Friday, 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Saturday, and noon and 1 p.m. Sunday.
* Paul Mitchell The School will present "Let Us Inspire You," a show highlighting new trends in makeup and creative hairstyles, at 5 p.m. Saturday. The Xenon International Hair Show will be presented at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
* The finals for Models and Images' International Model Search will be at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Winners from past years have gone on to sign contracts with some of the world's top modeling agencies.
* Exhibitors will offer haircuts, styling, beauty makeovers, spa services, botox injections and demos at the fair. Plastic surgeons and aestheticians will be on-hand to consult on hair removal, vein treatments, skin care, facial peels, anti-aging cosmetics, cosmetic surgery and more.
* Sign up for the annual Women's Fitness Challenge sponsored by Genesis Health Clubs. Teams of women compete to lose weight and get fit to win prizes worth more than $4,000. Participants get free access to Genesis fitness centers for six weeks.