Christmas is a time many people reserve for family and friends, but if you're on your own this weekend or looking for a way to keep guests entertained, you have a few options.
Here's a look at some of the places around Wichita that will be open all or part of this holiday weekend:
1) Sedgwick County Zoo. It's one of the few attractions that is open every day of the year, except one. That exception falls in September, when the zoo has its big fundraiser, Zoobilee. That means the zoo is open on Christmas Day, as well as today and on Sunday. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2) Movies. Theaters are open all weekend and you can expect they will be packed. Take note that Warren theaters will close after the 5 p.m. shows today, but they'll be open regular hours Saturday and Sunday. That includes the new Imax theater, which is showing "Tron." Northrock Theatre also is open regular hours today through Sunday.
3) Holiday light displays. Wichita's two giant light attractions are open this weekend. Lights on the Lake , at 8700 E. 29th St. North, will be open from 6 to 10 p.m. today and Saturday. It benefits Heartspring. Admission is free but donations are accepted.
Lights on St. Paul, at Douglas and St. Paul, will be open through Monday. It benefits the Arc of Sedgwick County. Hours are 5:30 to 11:55 p.m. today, 5:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday and 5:30 to 9 p.m. Sunday and Monday. Admission is free but donations are accepted. Go to www.arc-sedgwickcounty.org for more information.
4) All Star Adventures at 1010 N. Webb Road will be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. today and noon to 7 p.m. Sunday, but closed on Christmas Day. All-Star Sports West, at 8333 W. 21st St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday. It's also closed Christmas Day. Activities at both include all indoor games, as well go-karts outside if the temperature is over 40 and miniature golf anytime.
5) Laser Quest, at 2120 N. Woodlawn, will be open from noon to 5 p.m. today and 1 to 7 p.m. Sunday. It will be closed on Saturday. Admission is $8, per game. For more information, call 316-652-9500.
6) Wichita Ice Center, 505 Maple, is closed on Christmas Day but open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today and 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Call 316-337-9199 for more information, or go to www.wichitaicecenter.com.
7) Exploration Place, 300 N. McLean Blvd., will be closed on Christmas Day but open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. General admission is $9.50, or $6 for kids 4-11 and free for children under 4 and members.
8) The Museum of World Treasures, 835 E. First St., is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. It's closed on Christmas Day. For more information, call 316-263-1311.
9) The Kansas Aviation Museum, 3350 George Washington Blvd., will be closed on Christmas Day but open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
10) The Wichita Art Museum, 1400 W. Museum Blvd., is closed today and Saturday but open from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Call 316-268-4921 for more information.
11) The Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center, 1100 N. Plum in Hutchinson, will close at 4 p.m. today and will reopen at noon Sunday. It will offer extended hours — 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. —beginning Monday through Jan. 1. "A Christmas Carol" is the holiday feature at the Imax theater. Call 800-397-0330 for more information or go online to www.cosmo.org..
12) On the sports front, the Kansas City Chiefs play at home Sunday and the Wichita Thunder take on Missouri at 5:05 p.m. Sunday at Intrust Bank Arena. Go to www.wichitathunder.com for more information.
Closed for the holiday
The following attractions are closed all weekend:
* Skate South, 1900 E. MacArthur.
* CityArts, 334 N. Mead.
* Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 Museum Blvd.
* Prairie Rose Chuck Wagon, 15231 SW Parallel Road, Benton.
* Ulrich Museum of Art, Wichita State University campus.
* Wichita Center for the Arts, 9112 E. Central.
* Botanica, 701 Amidon.
* Great Plains Nature Center, 6232 E. 29th St. North.
* Tanganyika Wildlife Park, 1037 S. 183rd West, Goddard. (Closed for the season.)