City League Boys Tennis Notes
• Carroll senior Jared Ohm returns after qualifying for state in singles. Junior Matthew Zemanick looks to improve on a sophomore campaign in which he was part of a state-qualifying doubles team.
Never miss a local story.
• East is led by senior Alex Hwu, who was a part of the City League champion doubles team last year. Junior Edward Li and senior Mateen Shah will also be key contributors.
• Heights will look to build around senior Jonathan Reeder, who is the only returner with varsity experience.
• Kapaun lost eight of its top 10 players from last year to graduation. Junior Daniel Hullings will be key to the team’s success.
• North returns some key varsity experience in junior Nicholas Wherritt and senior Michael Trujillo.
• Northwest will have a veteran team to improve on last year’s fifth-place City League finish. Five players have varsity experience, including four seniors.
• South returns seniors Trevor Cary, Joe Davis and Darpan Bhatka.
• Southeast returns four players with varsity experience, including seniors Matt Butler and Andre Carthen.
• West sophomore Derek Drew comes off a freshman season as the team’s top player. Senior DeAndre Baker will also be an important piece.
Area Boys Tennis Notes
• Andover junior Steven Wegner comes off a 10th-place finish in 5A singles. Senior Ben Blizzard and junior Lincoln Blizzard are brothers who look to make an impact after moving from Oklahoma.
• Seniors Matthew Schrader and Nick Gazda will lead Andover Central.
• Arkansas City returns the ninth-place doubles team from 5A in senior John Rohr and junior Macen Vargas. Juniors Rhett Posey and Conner Seitz will also contribute.
• Circle seniors Trent Jacks and Lucas Weber return as the top two singles players.
• Collegiate sophomore Travis Osland finished fourth in Class 3-2-1A singles last year. Senior Hunter Morris was on the state runner-up doubles team, while senior Clay Holden was on the third-place doubles team.
• Conway Springs returns two-time state qualifier Jordan Ast. Four other varsity returners make for an experienced team.
• Derby juniors Shane Swink and Taylor Schieber qualified for state last year in doubles. Junior Braden Baker will be the No. 1 singles player.
• Eisenhower enters its first season with little experience. Junior Cory Otis will be their leader
• Goddard returns the state-qualifying doubles team of seniors Tanner Lambky and Ryan Wolfe. Senior Britt Hansen also qualified for state in doubles last year.
• Independent returns a wealth of talent after winning the Class 3-2-1A state title last year. Sophomore Jacob Maddox and junior Sam McCoy return after winning the state championship in doubles.
• Maize will be looking to rebuild. Junior Trevor McChristian is their top returner.
• Maize South senior Hunter Tucker was part of the Class 4A doubles champion last season. Seniors Eric Dinkel and Chance Dickinson are two-time state qualifiers.
• Junior Max Pyle comes off a Class 5A state doubles championship for McPherson. Juniors Connor Schafer and Ben Davidson, as well as sophomore Peter Horton, return after qualifying for state.
• Winfield finished fourth in Class 4A in 2011. The doubles team of junior Tucker Hoover and sophomore Sam Camp returns after finishing ninth at state last year.
Boys Tennis Schedule
15 – Carroll at Northwest, Kapaun at North, West at Southeast, Heights at East
26 – McPherson Invitational, South at Kapaun
27 – Valley Center Invitational, Hesston Invitational, Carroll at East, Heights at West
28 – Collegiate Invitational
29 – Goddard Invitational, Andover Central Invitational, Southeast at North, Heights at Carroll
30 – Northwest at East
2 – Kapaun at Carroll, North at Heights, Southeast at South, Northwest at West
3 – Arkansas City Invitational, Collegiate Invitational, Goddard Invitational
5 – Newton Invitational, Andover Invitational, East at North, Kapaun at West, South at Northwest
7 – John Markham Spring Classic at Goddard
9 – East at Kapaun, Carroll at South, Southeast at Heights
10 – Salina Central Invitational, West at Carroll, East at Southeast, North at South
11 – Northwest at Heights
12 – Hutchinson Invitational, Derby Invitational, North at West
13 – Winfield Invitational
14 – McPherson Invitational
16 – Salina Central Invitational, Heights at South, North at Carroll, East at West
17 – Topeka West Invitational, Campus Invitational, Maize Invitational, Hillsboro Invitational, Kapaun at Northwest
19 – South at East, Kapaun at Southeast
21 – Collegiate Invitational, Valley Center Invitational, Salina Central Invitational
23 – Topeka Invitational, North at Northwest, Carroll at Southeast, South at West, Kapaun at Heights
24 – Augusta Invitational, Hesston Invitational, Southeast at Northwest
26 – Circle Quad, Collegiate Invitational, Goddard Invitational
28 – City League Tournament at Wichita State
30 – CPL League Tournament, CKL League Tournament, AVCTL League Tournaments
3-4 – KSHSAA Regionals
11-12 – KSHSAA State Tournaments