Area swim schedules
15—Derby Invitational;, Andover Central at Emporia; 27—Winfield
Invitational; Andover, Andover Central at El Dorado; 28—Maize, Maize South at Manhattan; 29—McPherson at Topeka.
2—Hutchinson at Great Bend; 3—Emporia Diving Invitational, Winfield
Invitational; 5—Emporia Invitational, Salina South Invitational;
10—Independent, Collegiate at TMP; Newton Invitational, Winfield at
Campus; 13—Salina South Invitational; 14—Northwest Invitational;
16—Hutchinson at Manhattan; 17—Campus at Salina Central (Diving); 19—
Derby at Hutchinson; 20—El Dorado Invitational; 21—Trinity
Invitational (Wichita Swim Club); 23—Campus at Hays, Hutchinson
Invitational; 26—Campus Invitational; 27—Campus, Derby at
Manhattan; Great Bend Invitational; 28—Trinity Invitational.
1—Derby Invitational, McPherson at Hutchinson, Campus, Winfield at El
Dorado; 3—Derby at Salina South, Newton Invitational; 5—El Dorado
Invitational; 12—AV-CTL Invitational at Northwest YMCA, AV-CTL
II Invitational at El Dorado; 18-19—State.
Area girls swimming notes
• Andover hopes to win the AV-CTL this year after finishing second last year. Senior Audra Hansen leads the way.
• Andover Central returns K.C. Chambers from its AV-CTL champion.
• Junior diver Dani Noel returns for Campus, as does lone senior Madison Downs (distance).
• Collegiate has good numbers and is led by Maddie Daley, Julia Gurney and Allie Hatchett.
• Ashley Call is a 500 freestyle specialist for El Dorado, while Jade Johnson leads in the shorter sprints.
• Independent was second in 5-1A last year and returns medalists Brooke Brittain and Kate Wickman.
• Trinity Academy 50 free state champ Chelsey Kilgore is back, as is junior Emily Knocke, who was second at two state events.
City League girls swimming notes
• All of Carroll’s state qualifiers are back, including seniors Clara Seiwert and Nicole Rau, along with junior Brooke Biby and sophomore Madison Hutchinson.
• Most of Heights’ 20 team members are returners, though it’s a young team. Rachel Stahl and Miranda Bargsley provide senior leadership for a group that includes junior Chancel Nguyen and sophomores Kelsey Buller and Alyssa Packer.
• Kapaun has good numbers, especially in the freshman and sophomore classes. Key swimmers include Marisa Meyer, Bridgette Ayala, Melissa Daily and Kate Watson.
• North sophomore Abbey Lassley already holds the school 100 backstroke record. She was seventh at state in the 100 butterfly.
• Northwest has a small team, and the lone senior is Madelynn Bazzell. Other key swimmers are Jessica Aaby, Julia Blasdel, Hannah Howe, Hannah Pruitt, Melissa Martin and Ruth Kindel.
• South has more than 10 seniors, including Kassie Enruqez, Tori Webb and Christie Briley. But the team will have several new underclassmen.
• New Southeast coach Lyndon Perry has senior Emily Chesser, who finished third in the 100 backstroke and 200 IM at Class 6A.
• An inexperienced West squad has three returners back and nine newcomers.
City League girls swimming schedule
13—Northwest at East, Carroll at South, Southeast at North,
West vs. Kapaun at Wichita Swim Club; 29—East at South, Heights at Southeast, North at West, Kapaun at Carroll; 30—Heights Invitational (at East).
5—Northwest, West at Heights; Salina South Invitational; North at
East, Carroll at Southeast, South vs. Kapaun at Swim Club; 7—East at Olathe East; 12—East, Kapaun at Heights; South, Southeast at West; Carroll, North at Northwest; 14—Northwest Invitational; 19—East, West vs. Carroll at Northwest; Northwest, Southeast, Kapaun at Swim Club, North, South at Heights; 21—Trinity Invitational at Swim Club, 24—South at Northwest; 26—South at Campus, Kapaun at North, East at Southeast, Heights vs. Carroll at Northwest.
5—El Dorado Invitational, 10—League meet at Northwest; 11—East