NBA players and owners met for more than 10 hours with a federal mediator, hoping to deliver the progress commissioner David Stern says is needed to avoid canceling more games. Stern sought immediate results in just one day of mediation, saying during interviews last week that proposals could get worse and more games could be lost without a deal Tuesday.
* Ed Stefanski is out as Philadelphia 76ers general manager and team president Rod Thorn will assume greater day-to-day control in running the franchise after a deal was completed to sell the team to New York leveraged buyout specialist Joshua Harris. The team announced nearly 9,000 season-ticket prices will be reduced, some as much as $47 per game.
* Kansas junior forward Thomas Robinson was named a preseason All-American by CBSSports.com.
Arkansas has unveiled details of an estimated $300 million athletic facilities plan that includes the enclosing of the north end zone at Razorback Stadium. The plan would take 30 years and affect each of the university's 19 teams.
* Butler improved from fifth to fourth in this week's NJCAA poll. Hutchinson improved from ninth to eighth, while Coffeyville dropped from 12 to 19th after Saturday's 38-point loss at Butler.
* Kent Hull, a three-time Pro Bowler who served as Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly's center during the Buffalo Bills' AFC title years in the early 1990s, died at 50. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Rory McIlroy made four birdies on the back nine to grab a share of the lead with Keegan Bradley at the PGA Grand Slam, featuring the winners of this year's majors in Bermuda. The pair finished the first round tied at 4-under 67, well ahead of Charl Schwartzel, The Masters winner who shot a 74, and British Open champion Darren Clarke, who finished with a 77.
* Wichita State's Gretchen Huhnerkoch shot a 7-over-par 223 to finish second in the Fall Hoosier Invitational in Carmel, Ind. WSU finished seventh.
Washington's Tomas Vokoun blanked his former Panthers 3-0 with a 20-save performance.... Cam Ward stopped 33 shots in Carolina's 4-1 win at Boston.... Jamie Benn had a goal and an assist in Dallas' 3-2 win over Columbus, the Stars' fourth straight.... Pittsburgh ended a three-game winless streak with a 4-2 win at Minnesota.... Ryan Miller made 40 saves in Buffalo's 3-1 win at Montreal.
Jimmie Johnson, NASCAR's five-time defending champion, said he was "torn up" by Dan Wheldon's death and that IndyCar should race only on street circuits and road courses rather than on high-speed oval tracks. Wheldon died Sunday of head injuries suffered during a fiery 15-car crash during a race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Johnson has raced stock cars since 1998 and said he's uncomfortable with the open-cockpit and open-wheel design of Indy cars.
IndyCar's new Dallara chassis will be named in honor of two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon.
Pan American Games
The United States won four of five swimming duels with Brazil in the Pan American Games. Americans have won 12 swimming golds in four days.
Track and field
Former Olympian Marion Jones has been chosen by the State Department to represent the United States on a series of diplomatic visits to Serbia and Croatia this week. Jones won five medals at the 2000 Olympics but had them taken away and served prison time for lying to federal investigators about taking performance-enhancing drugs. Jones was chosen to visit the region hit by war and an earthquake in recent years because she's an example that "you can have things go wrong and you can move beyond them," a spokesman said.