Fort Hays State announced Wednesday that coach Kevin Verdugo would not return after Saturday's season finale at Missouri Western. Verdugo is 18-46 in Verdugo's sixth season.
Kansas State will play in the three-game Cancun (Mexico) Governor's Cup in December 2011. Also confirmed for the eight-team field are College of Charleston, Massachusetts, Rice, Southern Illinois and Utah.
* Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook each scored 31 points and came up with the key baskets down the stretch to help the Oklahoma City Thunder hold off a late charge from the Philadelphia 76ers for a 109-103 NBA victory. Westbrook skied for a key layup off an inbound pass with just over 2 1/2 minutes left to keep Philadelphia from having a shot at the tie, and Durant helped put it away with a three-point play with 44 seconds remaining to extend the lead to 104-97.
Oklahoma City played without starting power forward Jeff Green for the second straight game with a sprained left ankle.
* Deron Williams scored 30 points, Paul Millsap added 23 and the Utah Jazz rallied again for a 104-94 victory over the Orlando Magic a night after beating the Miami Heat in overtime.... Rookie John Wall got his first professional triple-double with 19 points, 13 assists and 10 rebounds to lead the Wizards to a 98-9` win over the Rockets. Houston's Yao Ming missed most of the game after he strained a tendon in his leg in the first quarter.... Corey Maggette scored 20 points, Brandon Jennings added 19 and the Bucks beat the Hawks 108-91, Atlanta's third straight defeat.... Jason Terry scored 25 points, and Shawn Marion added 20 to lead the Mavericks to a 106-91 victory over the Grizzlies.
* Chris Jackson scored 31 points and Reggie Britton added 16 points and seven rebounds to lead Friends to a 99-72 win over Baker.
Kansas beat Texas A&M 3-2 (25-14, 17-25, 25-20, 22-25, 15-12), the first time in school history KU has won in College Station, Texas. Freshman Brianne Riley had 32 digs for Kansas (15-12, 7-9 Big 12). Karina Garlington had 18 kills and Jenna Kaiser had 17.
* No. 5 Nebraska beat Kansas State 3-0 (25-9, 27-25, 25-23) in Lincoln, Neb. JuliAnne Chisholm had eight kills for K-State (10-16, 4-11).
Friends rallied for a 3-2 win over Ottawa in the KCAC men's semifinals. Brenden Moore scored the game-winner in the 85th minute. Friends will play Kansas Wesleyan in the championship game at 4 p.m. Saturday in North Newton.
Cincinnati Reds third baseman Scott Rolen, second baseman Brandon Phillips and pitcher Bronson Arroyo all won National League Gold Gloves. It's the first time Cincinnati has had more than one winner in a season since the days of the Big Red Machine, when catcher Johnny Bench, second baseman Joe Morgan, shortstop Dave Concepcion and center fielder Cesar Geronimo won four straight years from 1974-77.
* Dave Niehaus, the Hall of Fame broadcaster who called Seattle Mariners games from their first season through this year, died Wednesday. He was 75. He was the recipient of the 2008 Ford C. Frick award and was inducted into the broadcasters wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Roger Federer eased into the third round of the Paris Masters with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Richard Gasquet. Defending champion Novak Djokovic and third-seeded Andy Murray also advanced.
The NHL announced Wednesday that it is switching from the conference-vs.-conference format it has used for years in All-Star games to a player draft conducted by the All-Stars, in which captains selected by the players will determine the teams.
The NHL and the players' association have been working for months on ways to spice up the All-Star game. The final plan was hammered out Tuesday in Toronto during a meeting of the league's general managers.
Fans will continue to vote via electronic ballots from a list of 100 players, but their votes will only determine the first six All-Stars. The remaining 36 players will be chosen by the NHL's hockey operations department.
Then two captains will be chosen, and they will draft the rest of the players to their yet-to-be-named teams. Those teams will compete in the All-Star game and skills competition.
* Mark Recchi had a goal and assisted on two of Boston's five third-period goals in the Bruins' 7-4 NHL comeback victory over at Pittsburgh. The Bruins are 6-1 on the road this season.... Jake Voracek scored on two breakaways and Columbus baet the Blues 8-1 to end St. Louis' winning streak at seven games.... Buffalo beat New Jersey 5-4 in a shootout, winning in Lindy Ruff's 1,000th game as the Sabres' coach.... Kyle Turris and Wojtek Wolski scored 35 seconds apart in the second period and Phoenix beat Chicago 2-1. The Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks have lost four of their last five games.