Hometown Sports Calendar (Aug. 4)
08/04/2010 12:00 AM
08/05/2010 3:36 PM
* Aug. 14: 14-U Westurban team tryout for both fall and spring play. Call Kevin Dingman at 316-946-0639 or e-mail ksdingssbcglobal.net.
* Grays Academy fall signups, ages 9-18. Call 316-806-3778 for information.
* Deadline Aug. 23: YMCA advance league for grades 6-8 and high school. Ten games and tournament beginning Sept. 11. Fee $80 members, $130 nonmembers. Call 316-945-2255 or check ymcawichita.org.
* Deadline Sept. 3: YMCA advance league for grades 2-5. Ten games and tournament beginning Oct. 9. Fee $80 members, $130 nonmembers. Call 316-945-2255 or check ymcawichita.org.
* Deadline Sept. 13: Adult leagues for women and men, six games and tournament beginning Sept. 13 at Farha Sport Center. Fee $250 per team. Call 316-945-2255 or check ymcawichita.org.
* Deadline Oct. 4: YMCA league for grades preK-7. Eight games beginning Nov. 6. Fee $35 members, $60 nonmembers. Contact any Wichita-area branches or check sports.ymcawichita.org.
* Saturdays: Westside rides meet on Santa Fe St. (next to rails/trails) in Goddard at 9 a.m. Riders decide on distance. Call David Rudiger at 316-721-0907.
* Saturdays: Eastside ride starts at 10 a.m. at WSU Metroplex, 29th St. North and Oliver. This is a beginner friendly 26-mile training ride to Valley Center. Call Ben Sciortino at 316-733-5192.
* Saturdays: Eastside ride starts at Minneha School, 701 N. Webb Rd. at 9 a.m. Rides are 40-60 miles in length, averaging 17-19 mph. Call Barry Carroll at 316I-262-6122.
* Saturdays: Dirt road ride starts at 10 a.m. at Derby Recreation Center. This is a three-hour long ride at about an 18 mph pace, led by Andy Malcom. Contact Bob Cummings at Racing,bobcummingaol.com.
* Sundays: Eastside ride begins at Minneha School, 701 N. Webb Rd. at 1 p.m. Rides are 40-60 miles in length, averaging 17-19 ph. Call Barry Carroll at 316-262-6122.
* Sundays: Southside ride begins at 9 a.m. at Linwood Center, Mt. Vernon and Kansas. Ride length is 25-40 miles. Contact Alan Chapman at yeloschwinnyahoo.com.
* Tuesdays: Eastside night rides, begins at 6:15 p.m. at Minneha School, 701 N. Webb. Rides are 30-35 miles in length at a moderate to fast pace. Call Barry Carroll at 316-262-6122.
* Thursdays: Eastside night ride begins at 6:15 p.m. at Minneha School, 701 N. Webb. Rides are 30-35 miles long at a moderate to fast pace. Call Barry Carroll at 316-262-6122.
* Aug. 28, Sept. 4: Junior preseason scrimmages for grades 2-8. Fee $95. Check wichitafootballacademy.com for information.
* Deadline Sept. 10: Wichita Parks and Recreation men's flag 7-on-7 league. Fee $400 for eight games at South Lakes Complex beginning Sept. 18. Call 316-268-4129 for information.
* Aug. 8: Amateur Golf Tour tournament at Colbert Hills, Manhattan, 10 a.m. shotgun start. Fee $100. Call 316-619-3081 or 316-990-5474, or go to amateurgolftour.net.
* oAug. 22: Amateur Golf Tour tournament at Alvamar Public, Lawrence, 1 p.m. Fee $100. Call 316-619-3081 or 316-990-5474, or go to amateurgolftour.net.
* Oct. 17: Campus High 50th anniversary tournament at Cherry Oaks, Cheney. Four-man scramble, 8 a.m. Fee $200 per team. Contact Jeremy Willig at jwilligusd261.com or 316-554-2236, ext. 1504.
* Sept. 11: I-Did-A-Hill Fun Run/Walk in Roxbury; 2- and 6-mile runs, 2- and 4-mile walks. Fee $12 before Aug. 27, $15 after. Call Scanlans at 785-536-4205 or Tolles at 785-254-7355.
* Deadline Oct. 4: YMCA advance league for girls ages 6-18. Eight games beginning Nov. 1. Fee $50 members, $75 nonmembers. Contact any Wichita-area branches or check sports.ymcawichita.org.
* Deadline Aug. 5: Wichita Parks Department fall leagues for men, women, co-ed, church men and church co-ed. Fee $425 for 12 games. Doubleheaders to be played at West Side Athletic Field and South Lakes complex. Leagues begin Aug. 23. Call Debbie Lambert at 316-268-4129.
* Deadline Aug. 9: Halstead Old Settlers Weekend men's and co-ed tournament Aug. 13-15. Men's fee $150, co-ed $125. Call Grant Williams at 316-835-2517.
* Aug. 28-29: Slow pitch masters tournament at Fun Valley in Hutchinson. Fee $175. Call Mike Baird at 620-241-7974.
* Deadline Aug. 16: Wichita Church Athletic Association fall co-ed leagues. Play begins Aug. 26. Fee $235. Call Bob Waterson at 316-682-4545.
* Deadline Sept. 26: Adult leagues for women and co-ed, 10 games and tournament. Fee $180 per team, season begins Oct. 10. Call 316-945-2255 or check ymcawichita.org.
* o Beginning Nov. 6: Club league tryouts for U-12, U-13, U-14 (5-7 p.m. Nov. 6 at Farha Sport Center); U-15, U-16, U-17, U-18 (5-7 p.m. Nov. 13). Fee $350 members, $50 non members plus $50 fees. Call 316-945-2255 or check ymcawichita.org.
Camps and Clinics
* Aug. 9-10: Brad Hill's Select Camp Number 2 for ages 15-18 starts at 2 p.m. Monday, and ends at 9:45 p.m. Tuesday camp begins at 8 a.m., going until 3 p.m. Fee: $210 commuters, $240 for resident campers. Call Anthony Everman at 785-395-2679.
* Holman Baseball Shed private instruction for winter. Go to holmanbaseballshed.com or call 316-722-8448.
* Craig Dingman individual instruction, ages 8-older. Call 316-371-5921 or e-mail cdinger57earthlink.net.
* Holman's Baseball Shed is scheduling private instruction. Go to holmanbaseballshed.com or call 316-722-8448.
* oAug. 5-6: Cowley girls camp for middle school Aug. 3-4 and high school Aug. 5-6. Fee $70 for commuters, $100 for overnight campers. Call 620-441-5324 or check www.cowleytigers.com/camps/
Calendar items are updated each week. Lessons and facility rentals will not be included. E-mail information, including a telephone number, to hometownwichitaeagle.com, or fax to 316-268-6536.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.