Carlos Beltran appears to top Royals’ revised off-season wish list

11/30/2013 2:10 PM

12/02/2013 2:08 PM

Whenever and wherever the hard bargaining starts for free-agent outfielder Carlos Beltran, the Royals want a seat at the table. How long they stay there depends on how rich the bidding becomes.

“We’d love to have him in,” one Royals official said. “One thing about Carlos Beltran is he’s a money player. He’s an RBI guy. He produces.”

The Royals know that better than anyone.

Beltran, now 36, began his 16-year playing career with the Royals and had four 100-run, 100-RBI seasons in a five-year span before the 2004 trade that sent him to Houston. He batted .296 last season for St. Louis with 24 homers and 84 RBIs in 145 games.

Club officials say they hope to meet in the near future with Beltran, who previously indicated a willingness to return to the Royals.

Competition figures to be fierce and could quickly escalate in the coming days before all clubs gather Dec. 9-12 in Orlando, Fla., for the industry’s annual Winter Meetings.

The Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox, Rangers, Orioles and Mariners have shown interest in Beltran — and all appear to have far deeper pockets than the Royals, who are already bumping against their projected payroll limit after signing pitcher Jason Vargas.

“The big thing for us,” general manager Dayton Moore said, “was going out and making sure we signed, or traded for, a starting pitcher. And we feel Jason Vargas is the perfect guy for that.”

Even so, the Royals insist they will pursue Beltran and appear willing, unlike some suitors, to meet his preference for a three-year deal. Club officials believe they can make the dollars work, through subsequent moves, if the bidding doesn’t get too high.

If talks flounder, the Royals will shift sites to other targets.

“We’re still looking to, hopefully, find a bat,” confirmed Moore, who received a two-year contract extension Friday through the 2016 season.

“But when you look at the landscape, I’m not sure there are many clubs out there that are willing to trade impact bats. There just are not that many, and a lot of people are looking for the same thing.”

That keeps leading the Royals back to Beltran.

But not just Beltran.

Moore said the Royals also hope to acquire another starting pitcher despite their recent four-year deal with Vargas for $32 million. Such an addition seems likely to be a low-cost option — either a retread veteran or someone coming off a disappointing season.

“We’ll see what else unfolds in the Winter Meetings and beyond with maybe another pitcher,” Moore said. “We’ll see what’s available. There are still opportunities to make a trade or two with some of our current group.”

The likelihood of a trade, or multiple trades, figures to increase if the Royals land Beltran because of the resulting need to shed payroll. The top possibilities could be designated hitter Billy Butler, several relievers or some of the club’s top prospects.

“We’re still looking at things,” Moore said. “I think there will be some trade possibilities at the Winter Meetings. We’ll be aggressive with our farm system with deals that make sense. We do feel like we’ve got some excess in some areas.”

Sports Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service