Highlights of the week ahead:
▪ The Shockers wrap up MVC play, title in hand, at Loyola on Wednesday (8 p.m., Cox 22) and at Koch Arena vs. Illinois State on Saturday (1 p.m., ESPN2).
At Stubhub, prices range from $125 to $2,000 to see senior day for Ron Baker, Anton Grady, Fred VanVleet, Bush Wamukota and Evan Wessel.
▪ WSU’s women’s basketball team plays at travel partner Missouri State on Saturday (2:05 p.m., ESPN3).
Never miss a local story.
▪ WSU’s track and field teams head to Cedar Falls, Iowa for the MVC Indoor Championships starting Saturday. Indiana State is the defending champion for the men and women.
▪ WSU baseball plays at Oral Roberts on Tuesday (3 p.m., KNSS, 1330-AM). Next is a weekend series at New Mexico, starting Friday (7 p.m., KNSS, 1330-AM). The Lobos are the Mountain West’s preseason favorite after going 32-27 last season.
▪ Shockers softball opens the South Alabama Invitational on Friday against Dartmouth (noon).
▪ It’s a busy week for WSU women’s tennis team, ranked No. 31 and winners of six straight matches. The Shockers play at No. 42 Arkansas on Monday (1 p.m.). On Friday, it’s at Kansas (2 p.m.) and Saturday vs. New Mexico (1 p.m.).
▪ WSU (21-7, 14-2 MVC) handled a busy week with ease, pounding out wins over New Mexico State (71-41), Missouri State (99-68) and Indiana State (84-51). It is the first time the Shockers defeated three straight NCAA Division I opponents by 30 or more points.
The wins over MSU and Indiana State handed WSU the MVC title and top seed in the MVC Tournament.
▪ WSU’s baseball team (2-1) started with 11-0 and 17-2 routs of Northern Colorado before losing 4-3 on Sunday. A team that’s trying to repair the damage from last season’s losing record can’t afford to give away sweeps to overmatched opponents. The Shockers pitched well until the ninth inning of Sunday’s game, with 34 strikeouts in 27 innings and a .172 opponents batting average.
▪ WSU women’s basketball team (7-19, 4-11) defeated Evansville 44-31 to dump the Aces deeply into last place in the MVC. On Sunday, Southern Illinois defeated WSU 80-66
▪ WSU women’s tennis team is on a roll with wins over North Texas, BYU, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado State and Washington in its streak.
Monday’s reading recommendation:
Terre Haute Tribune Star: Billy Packer’s feud with the MVC started in 1979 before Wichita State’s visit to play Larry Bird in his final home game. Things did not go well for Packer or the Shockers.