Wichita State baseball adds 17 in signing class
11/19/2013 12:03 PM
11/19/2013 12:32 PM
Wichita State baseball coach Todd Butler added 17 players in his first recruiting class. The Shockers loaded up on pitching, signing six pitchers and four more players with two-way possibilities.
“We will lose many players from the 2014 team to the next level and graduation,” Butler said in a news release. “We feel, as a coaching staff, that we addressed the future needs of our program. Our coaching staff did a great job in a short time to assemble the needs of this class.”
A look at the 17 athletes who signed national letters of intent with WSU this month:• RHP Isaac Anderson, College of Southern Idaho — Anderson, a 6-foot-1 sophomore, went 3-0 with two saves and an 0.82 ERA in 22 innings as a freshman. The Kansas City Royals drafted him in the 34th round.
• LHP/OF Jeb Bargfeldt, Owasso (Okla.) — Bargfeldt, a 5-11 senior, earned Louisville Slugger All-American honors after going 9-0 with a 1.29 ERA as a junior.
• SS Jordan Boyer, Deer Creek (Okla.) — Boyer, a 6-1 senior, hit .398 with two home runs as a junior.
• OF Josh DeBacker, Lee’s Summit (Mo.) North — DeBacker, a 6-3 senior, hit .348 and earned all-conference honors as a junior.
• OF Bret Fehr, Manhattan — Fehr, a 6-2 senior, hit .385 with 17 stolen bases as a junior.
• RHP Taylor Goshen, Fort Wayne (Ind.) Carroll — Goshen, a 6-2 senior, is ranked the No. 5 prospect in Indiana by Perfect Game.
• 1B/RHP Sam Hilliard, Crowder (Mo.) College — Hilliard, a 6-5 sophomore, went 5-1 with a 4.26 ERA for the Nevada Griffons last summer.
• RHP Tyler Jones, Andale — Jones, a 6-3 senior, compiled a 1.02 ERA in 48 innings and earned All-Class 4A honors.
• LHP Bradley Kinsey, Norman (Okla.) North — Kinsey, a 6-foot senior, struck out 75 in 52 2/3 innings, compiling a 1.73 ERA and a 6-0 record.
• 3B Chase Rader, Coffeyville Community College — Rader, a 6-foot sophomore, hit .302 with five home runs and stole a school-record 42 bases.
• C Taylor Sanagorski, Bishop Carroll — Sanagorski, a 6-foot senior, hit .389 with four doubles last spring.
• RHP Chandler Sanburn, Avon (Ind.) — Sanburn, a 6-1 senior, struck out 27 in 23 innings as a junior.
• SS/RHP Adam Thies, Olathe East — Thies, a 6-foot senior, hit .331 with six home runs and 11 doubles.
• C Gunnar Troutwine, Shawnee Mission East — Troutwine, a 6-2 senior, earned All-Sunflower League honors as a sophomore and junior.
• 1B/LHP Alex Van Pelt, St. Thomas Aquinas — Van Pelt, a 6-4 senior, lettered twice for the Saints.
• SS Trey Vickers, Rockhurst (Mo.) — Vickers, a 6-1 shortstop, hit .318 with five doubles as a junior.
• RHP Matt Whalen, Valor Christian (Colo.) — Whalen, a 6-6 senior, missed his junior year due to a stress fracture in his right elbow. As a sophomore, he struck out 48 in 41 innings.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.