* The Fighting Sioux are in their second year of Division I baseball. Last season, UND finished 14-29 and played eight home games. This season, the Sioux play 14 home games in Grand Forks but begin the season with 28 road or neutral-site games.
* This is the first meeting between UND and the Shockers. The Sioux played five Missouri Valley Conference teams last season, going 6-8 in road games against Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Creighton, Bradley and Northern Iowa.
* WSU's 40 runs is its third-highest total for three games to start a season in the Gene Stephenson era. The 1986 team scored 51 in its first three games and the 1991 Shockers opened with 49 runs in their first three games and 99 in their first five. The last time WSU started with three games of 10 or more runs was 2000. The Shockers didn't score 10 for the third time last season until April 1, needing 26 games to accomplish the feat. The 1979 Shockers started the season with eight consecutive games of 10 runs or more, a program record.
* Senior Clint McKeever and junior Preston Springer each had at least two hits in the three games in Alabama, combining to go 17 for 28 with 14 RBIs, three doubles and four home runs.
Never miss a local story.
* Sophomore Josh Smith makes his first career start today. He was 0-2 with an 8.62 ERA last season with 21 strikeouts in 24 innings. On Wednesday, freshman right-hander Tobin Mateychick is scheduled to make his WSU debut.