▪ “He doesn’t get into policy specifics and people are not looking for that. They are looking for a strongman that says he can make America great again. He’s done exactly that. And the person that I put the responsibility on for that is the president.” – Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., talking about Donald Trump to BloombergPolitics
▪ “Why even put that ball on the field? All you’re going to do is fumble it. Let the people decide.” – Roberts again, about the GOP Senate strategy of refusing to hold hearings on any Obama nomination to the Supreme Court
▪ “Ted Cruz has been on the front lines and, yeah, folks in Washington don’t like him, but folks in America don’t like Washington.” – Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Fowler/Hutchinson, on his favored presidential candidate
▪ “I call it the ‘Cleaver standard.’ We’re in a different country than when Ward and June took care of Beaver. I understand the Cleaver model, but it is passe.” – state Sen. David Haley, D-Kansas City, objecting to the bill creating a new category of long-married, socially involved, nonsmoking, non-drinking foster parents
Never miss a local story.
▪ “This is my last dose of common sense and good judgment before I get on a plane and go back to Washington, D.C.” – Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., at a recent Louisburg town hall meeting
▪ “Where I come from, economic development can be whether or not there is a grocery store in town. People in Washington have no concept of that.” – Moran again, at the same event