▪ “What will the world think of us?” – Gov. Sam Brownback, at a Reno County GOP fundraiser, imagining if Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump end up as their parties’ nominees
▪ “Today the KS Supreme Court, who took 16 YEARS to get the Carr brothers case WRONG, now expect the Legislature to get school funding right in 139 days!” – Rep. John Whitmer, R-Wichita, tweeting after the school-finance ruling
▪ “This is not unlike letting my little girl sleep in my bedroom even though I know there’s not monsters in her closet.” – Senate Ways and Means Committee Chairman Ty Masterson, R-Andover, as his panel responded to lawmakers’ fears for children’s programs by blocking the governor’s proposed $50.6 million sweep of the Children’s Initiatives Fund into the state’s general fund
▪ “The big argument (for changing Supreme Court justice selection) is we are letting lawyers choose our judges. I don’t want my hair stylist choosing my next airline pilot.” – Rep. Melissa Rooker, R-Fairway, on the latest defeat of the proposal to abolish the Supreme Court nominating commission and let the governor pick justices unilaterally, subject to Kansas Senate confirmation
Never miss a local story.
▪ “I don’t have a dog. I do have a cat. Her name is Miss Kitty.” – Rep. Oletha Faust-Goudeau, D-Wichita, in response to Sen. Forrest Knox, R-Altoona, saying that if he were reading a utility meter and Faust-Goudeau’s pit bull attacked him, he might have to shoot it