▪ “Legalizing homosexual marriage today criminalizes opposition to it tomorrow.” – U.S. Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Fowler/Hutchinson, tweeting Friday about the U.S. Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage decision
▪ “Should a baker have to bake a same-sex ‘wedding’ cake with a Confederate flag on it?” – a Huelskamp tweet Wednesday that included “#LiberalsHeadsExplode”
▪ “The flag is a symbol of our past and not of our future. It belongs in state museums, not atop state capitols.” – U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., on the Confederate battle flag
▪ “His experiment in Kansas just did not work.” – U.S. Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., agreeing with Jon Stewart on “The Daily Show” about the fiscal record of Gov. Sam Brownback
Never miss a local story.
▪ “My hope would be that the governor has learned from this session.” – Rep. Don Hill, R-Emporia, drawing audience laughter at an Emporia legislative forum
▪ “I stood up in chambers and asked, ‘How many Republicans does it take to raise taxes?’ It got quite a laugh.” – Sen. Mitch Holmes, R-St. John, discussing the session with the Pratt Tribune