Be a positive force for troubled teens
As a professional who has committed my life to work with troubled teens and their families, I want to ask Sedgwick County not to close Judge Riddel Boys Ranch. Of course it is expensive. Rebuilding always is – hence the idiom “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Many do not live by proverbs, but I do hope the individuals of our county choose to. We can look “upstream” from boys at the ranch and work to solve the issues of the heart that wound young leaders.
Thousands of teens are arrested in Sedgwick County each year. Do you know any of them? Speak a positive word into their lives. Hire them for $10 or $20 to scoop a drive or mow a yard to teach work ethic. Show them how they can learn more to earn more. Look past the natural barriers. Involvement speaks louder than words.
Never miss a local story.
Be an ounce of prevention to our community.
House of Hope
No cash, no care
The gas station doesn’t have to give you gas for free when you don’t have cash or credit. The grocery store doesn’t have to give you groceries when you don’t have cash or credit. The hardware store doesn’t have to supply you with your emergency needs when you least expect to need something and don’t have cash or credit.
For those of you who continue to whine about being forced by the government to buy health insurance: I wish the government would instead just pass a law saying that you can’t get any health care – from any doctor, hospital or other medical facility – if you can’t pay with cash, credit or health insurance (Medicare or Medicaid for those who are eligible) at the time of service.
What if you can’t afford cash, credit or insurance? Maybe you should give up something. Or do you think you’re entitled?
For the past 19 years, I’ve used a CPAP machine because I have sleep apnea. My first machine lasted six years, while my second lasted 13 years before breaking down. Now that I’m on Medicare, and on a limited income, I have two choices: follow Medicare’s rules or purchase my own machine.
Here’s how Medicare’s rules work for this type of durable medical equipment. I have to let a company “rent” me a machine for 13 months. Then it becomes mine. This rental cost will be about $200 per month and will be split, with Medicare paying 80 percent and me paying the other 20 percent. So for 13 months, Medicare will pay about $2,080 while I pay $520. I’ll also be charged an up-front fee of $109.
I searched online to find out how much it would cost to purchase my own machine. Prices ranged from $179 to $805. I’ll be buying the cheapest model.
I called Medicare to find out why it does it this way and was told it was because some people would not need a machine for the full 13 months. I said that I’d used a machine for the past 19 years and would probably need one until I die. Unfortunately, Medicare only has one rule.
The corporate lobbyist who influenced this rule should be ashamed.
Civic groups matter
“Civic groups see decline” (June 21 Eagle) noted the demise of the Hypatia Club, which had existed in Wichita for 126 years. Its ceasing to exist is a sign of modern times, with diverse forms of entertainment, TV, Internet, sports and restaurants all jockeying for places in a person’s daily life.
Back before TV and other swift means of communication, civic groups served as conduits where people gathered to learn general news and to be informed of members who were in sickness or distress. The article mentioned the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Rebekahs. I joined those two groups mainly because my parents, grandparents and even my great-grandparents joined. It was simply a “family tradition.”
I guess I am a “joiner.” I joined Rotary, Lions Club, the Elks, the Eagles, the Knights of Pythias and the Moose, and I am one of the few men who is both currently a Master Mason and a Knight of Columbus.
I once asked my dad what made a civic organization special. He said he liked Masonry and the Shrine organization because they gave something back to the community. Members also got a good feeling that they were wanted, appreciated and not ignored.
JAMES A. MARPLES
Since it’s obvious that many Eagle readers have no idea what a logical fallacy is, maybe the editors at some point could print a list indicating the best-known fallacies and the reasons they are considered fallacious.
The “slippery slope” fallacy, for example, seems to be a favorite with Opinion Line contributors, as well as letter writers. That’s the one wherein the writer assumes that because a mandate is imposed for one situation, all sorts of mandates will be imposed for other situations that are not even remotely connected to the first. The list from one to the next gets more and more terrible, trying to leave the reader with the impression that even the most minor regulation will lead to all of us winding up in prison camps.
“If this, what’s next?” they ask. Well, since it’s a fallacy, probably nothing.
PHILIP H. SCHNEIDER