Area resources for home and health

02/24/2012 12:00 AM

02/24/2012 9:42 AM

Here’s a handy list of resources that you may not know about.

Free blood pressure checks

What: Free blood pressure checks

Where: Fire stations

When: 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays at Sedgwick County Fire District 1 stations; anytime at Wichita Fire Department stations

More information: To find a list of stations, go online to or

Free home monitoring

What: Free monitoring of your home while you are on vacation by the Wichita Police Department

More information: Fill out a form online at www. Click on the “Vacation Monitor” link under the “Contact Us” menu on the left-hand side of the home page

Lost your pet?

What: Wichita Animal Control might have it. It picks up stray animals and holds animals brought in as strays.

Where: 3303 N. Hillside, next to the Kansas Humane Society

When: 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday to Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays

More information: 316-350-3360.

Household hazardous waste disposal

What: Sedgwick County residents can safely get rid of items such as paint, batteries, used oil, household cleaners, computers, gasoline, antifreeze, pesticides, herbicides and other chemical products at the county’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility. There’s also a “swap and shop” section where you can find free paint and other materials for your home.

Where: 801 Stilwell, Wichita, south of Kellogg off Seneca

When: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday to Friday; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sundays and Mondays.

More information: 316-660-7464

Gardening help

What: Sedgwick County Extension Service’s trained master gardener volunteers help home gardeners with information on planting and care of lawns and gardens. They also put on several plant-related events throughout the year, including Herb Day, Tomato Day, Tree Fest, garden tours and a basic gardening series.

Where: Sedgwick County Extension Service, 7001 W. 21st St.

More information: 316-660-0100

Rural address marking program

What: Sedgwick County Fire District 1 offers free rural address signs as part of a program to help fire, EMS and law enforcement find your house in an emergency. There are a few styles of signs. You can choose which kind you would like. You must have an existing post for the sign.

Where: You must live in an unincorporated area of the county. If you do, the fire district will supply and install a free address sign for you.

More information: Enter your address and style of sign online at

Wichita neighborhood information, assistance

What: Information about your neighborhood, including construction projects, safety and environmental court cases. You can sign up for weekly updates by contacting your district’s neighborhood assistant.

Where: Information is by district. If you don’t know what district you’re in, go to to look at a map or call Neighborhood Services at 316-268-4351.

More information: Contact the assistants below.

District 1 (central and northeast Wichita) LaShonda Garnes, Atwater Neighborhood City Hall, 2755 E. 19th St., 316-303-8017,

District 2 (east) Antoine Sherfield, 455 N. Main, 316-268-4351,

District 3 (southeast) Janet Johnson, Colvin Neighborhood City Hall, 2820 S. Roosevelt, 316-303-8029,

District 4 (south and southwest) Kelli Glassman, Stanley-Aley Neighborhood City Hall, 1749 S. Martinson, 316-303-8008,

District 5 (northwest) Megan Buckmaster, 455 N. Main, 316-268-4351,

District 6 (north) Terri Dozal, Evergreen Neighborhood City Hall, 2700 N. Woodland, 316-303-8041,

Help understanding Medicare

What: Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas, an educational program that helps people with Medicare understand the system and their choices, including for supplemental insurance. One-on-one counseling is available as well as group counseling.

Where: Sedgwick County Extension Service, 7001 W. 21st St. or the Central Plains Area Agency on Aging, 2622 W. Central, Suite 500

More information: Call the Extension Service at 316-660-0100 or the Agency on Aging at 316-660-5132. At the Extension Service, ask for coordinator Sarah Taylor. At the Agency on Aging, ask for Celia Easley.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service